Chocobo Racing is a mini-game in Final Fantasy XIII-2. The player can use chocobos to participate in races in Serendipity.
 Chocobo Locations
 Tamable chocobos
You can have up to three of each chocobo captured at a time. It is possible to have four of the Silver and Gold Chocobos IF you have the Perpetual Battlefield DLC and obtain three each as drops BEFORE finding them in-game.
- Regular chocobo (yellow) : Archylte Steppe -Year Unknown- (Ability default=Supersonic)
- Black Chocobo : Vile Peaks -010 AF- (Ability default=???)
- Blue Chocobo : Archylte Steppe -Year Unknown- (Ability default=Limelight)
- Red Chocobo : Archylte Steppe -Year Unknown- (Ability default=Lightning Bolt)
- Green Chocobo : Yaschas Massif -100 AF- (Ability default=???)
- Purple Chocobo : Bresha ruins -300AF- (Ability default=???)
- White chocobo : Obera -300AF- (Ability default=???)
 Unique chocobos
These ones can only be found once in the game. However, you can tame them infinitely if you have the Perpetual Battlefield DLC.
- Silver Chocobo : Academia -4XX AF-, throw moogle to the green sphere in the northern room of the town.
- Gold Chocobo : A Dying World -700AF-, found in a chest on the north area, east of the bridge.
 Chocobo Stats
Once a chocobo is registered, there are three important stats: Speed, Stamina and RP.
- Speed depends on a chocobo's strength.
- Stamina depends on a chocobo's magic.
- RP depends on a chocobo's max HP.
Use potent items to increase a racing chocobo's stats as much as possible.
Placings, Coins won, and Abilities can also be viewed on a chocobo. Abilities will have its own section at the bottom of the page.
The races are divided into five classes. To reach an higher class, the player needs to win a race from the previous class. Each race has a fixed reward.
Graded races offers better rewards but are against stronger opponents. Winning one of these will unlock a secret race. Secret races are against the strongest birds, but offer the best rewards.
 Cocoon Class
10 RP are required to participate in these races.
|Hanging Edge Classic||600||Normal||Potion|
|Vile peaks Classic||600||Normal||Chocoboost|
|Palumpolum Cup||600||Normal||Power bolt|
|Euride Stakes||1200||Normal||Mana Bolt|
|Nautilus Derby||600||Graded||Witch's Bracelet|
|Sanctum Special||1200||Graded||Zealot's Amulet|
|Orphan's Cup||600||Secret||Power Droplet|
|Fifth Ark Cup||1200||Secret||Mana Droplet|
 Monster Class
15 RP are required to participate in these races.
|Bomb Classic||600||Normal||Shuffle (common)|
|Garchimacera Cup||1200||Normal||Shuffle (Common)|
|Adamantoise Classic||600||Normal||Vitality Droplet|
|Ochu Classic||1200||Normal||Vitality Bolt|
|Behemoth Special||600||Graded||Silver Bangle|
|Ahriman Cup||1200||Graded||Auric Amulet|
|Tonberry Cup||600||Secret||Power Droplet|
|Cactuar Cup||1200||Secret||Mana Droplet|
 Weapon Class
20 RP are required to participate in these races.
|Blazefire Saber Classic||600||Normal||Phoenix Down|
|Durandal Cup||1200||Normal||Phoenix Down|
|Wild Bear Derby||600||Normal||Shuffle (Graded)|
|Hawkeye Derby||1200||Normal||Shuffle (Graded)|
|Airwing Cup||600||Normal||Power Chip|
|Binding Rod Classic||1200||Normal||Mana Chip|
|Gungnir Special||600||Graded||Durable Warding Talisman|
|Partisan Stakes||1200||Graded||Pain Dampener|
|Omega Weapon Cup||600||Secret||Potent Droplet|
|Nirvana Cup||1200||Secret||Cactuar Figurine|
 Guardian Class
25 RP are required to participate in these races.
|Aster Cup||600||Normal||Vitality Sliver|
|Enki Enlil Classic||1200||Normal||Vitality Chip|
|Havoc Stakes||1200||Normal||Dark Matter|
|Proudclad Classic||1200||Graded||The Tower|
|Undying Cup||600||Secret||Power sliver|
|Shaolong Gui Cup||1200||Secret||Mana Sliver|
 Fal'Cie Class
30 RP are required to participate in these races.
|Phoenix Cup||600||Normal||Potent Sliver|
|Kujata Classic||1200||Normal||Potent Sliver|
|Carbuncle Classic||600||Normal||Power Orb|
|Anima Stakes||1200||Normal||Mana Orb|
|Atomos Derby||600||Normal||Vitality Orb|
|Dahaka Stakes||600||Normal||Collector Catalog|
|Titan Classic||1200||Normal||Potent Sliver|
|Eden Stakes||600||Graded||Entite Ring|
|Orphan Special||1800||Graded||Potent Orb|
|Lindzei Cup||600||Secret||Potent Orb|
|Pulse Cup||1800||Secret||Potent Orb|
 Chocobo abilities
These abilities can be divided in 2 categories : dependent on your race strategy, and non-dependent. Your chocobo special abilities are directly dependent on the passive skills on it, so you can have 10 abilities max by infusing various monsters in it.
 Dependent on strategy
|Name||Strategy||Description||Related passive||What to infuse|
|Supersonic||1||Increases the rate at which the Boost gauge charges.||Critical: Power surge||Lvl 54 Flangonzola, Lvl 1 Chocobo|
|Lightning bolt||2||Increases the rate at which the Boost gauge charges.||Stagger maintenance||Lvl 1 Zwerg Metro, Lvl 1 Buccaboo Ace, Lvl 1 Red Chocobo|
|Turbo||3||Decreases the cost of the Boost command||Critical: Shield||Lvl 2 Koboldroid Yin, Lvl 5 Gargonzola|
|Blue Streak||4||Decreases the cost of the Boost command||Ally KO: Power surge||Lvl 1 Ceratoraptor|
 Non-dependent on strategy
|Name||Description||Related passive||What to infuse|
|Marathoner||Greatly increase stamina in long-distance races.||Critical: Tetradefense
|Lvl 5 Microchu, Lvl 23 Pulse Gladiator, Lvl 33 Miniflan, Lvl 56 Triffid|
|Free spirit||Constantly stays at their own pace despite the situation.||Auto-vigilance||Lvl 13 Amanojaku, Lvl 20 Yaksha, Lvl 35 Microchu|
|Health nut||Condition is constantly favorable.||Rapid recovery||Lvl 24 Microchu|
|Second wind||Increases the effect of Turbo or Blue streak.||Fettered Magic||Lvl 1 Pulse Gladiator|
|Attention Hog||Stats increased when deemed a favorite.||Feral Speed II||Lvl 1 Gancanagh, Lvl 4 Dragoon, Lvl 7 White Chocobo|
|Dark Horse||Odds decrease due to misjudgment.||Item scavenger II||Lvl 1 Calautidon, Lvl 18 Microchu|
|Perseverance||Slightly recharges the boost gauge when you tun out of stamina just before crossing the finish line.||Improved Raise
|Lvl 15 Spiranthes|
|Limelight||Stats increase for graded races||Kill: ATB Charge||Lvl 20 Metalligigantuar, Lvl 70 Seeping Brie, Lvl 72 Ceratoraptor|
|Sprinter||Greatly increases speed in short-distance races.||Critical: Bravery
|Lvl 1 Cactaur, Lvl 18 Red Chocobo|
|Rocket Blast||Increases the success rate of sprinting start.||Strength : +20%||Lvl 4 Buccaboo/Buccaboo Ace, Lvl 4 Munchkin Maestro/Boss, Lvl 16 Dreadnaught, Lvl 19 Yaksha, Lvl 26 Grand/Greater Behemoth, Lvl 27 Apkallu, Lvl 29 Uridimmu, Lvl 33 Behemoth, Lvl 34 Flangonzola, Lvl 40 Mini Flan, Lvl 76 Chocobo|
 Ultimate Chocobo ?
Firstly, your base chocobo need to be either the gold chocobo or the silver one, they're the best ones for racing.
Secondly, level it only with potent items so it'll have A in speed and stamina.
Thirdly, choose your skills to make an invincible bird.
The abilities you want on your chocobo :
- Marathoner, to be able to finish the longest races without exhausting your chocobo.
- One of the skills dependent on strategy (my favorite is turbo).
- The skill buffing the previous skill : Second Wind for Turbo or Blue streak, Runaway for Supersonic or Lightning bolt.
- Health Nut, so your chocobo is never in bad shape (it can still be in good or very good shape)
- Attention Hog, to have better stats because you'll almost always be the favorite.
- Free spirit.
Other useful abilities :
- Dark Horse, double the odds on your chocobo (it'll alway be 2.2 minimum instead of 1.1) if you like to bet on your bird.
- Sprinter, I never lost even without it, but helps.
- Rocket blast, to make the quick start easier, but a little habit is enough.
Abilities not needed :
- Perseverance, Marathoner makes this one useless.
- Limelight, works only on graded and secret races, so not really useful.
How to get these easily ? The gold chocobo comes with marathoner. The silver chocobo comes with Dark horse.
The list with the monsters needed isn't up yet, but I know you can get Dark Horse, Marathoner and Health nut from a Lv24 Microchu.