Final Fantasy XIII is one of the newest installments in the Final Fantasy series released on Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 as part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis compilation. The game is directed by Motomu Toriyama, who also directed Final Fantasy X-2. Final Fantasy XIII has spawned a direct sequel, Final Fantasy XIII-2.
Main Article: Plot (FFXIII)
Cocoon - a utopia in the sky.
Its inhabitants believed their world a paradise. Under the Sanctum's rule, Cocoon had long known peace and prosperity.
Mankind was blessed by it's protectors, the benevolent fal'Cie, and believed that tranquil days would continue forever.
Their tranquility was shattered with the discovery of one hostile fal'Cie.
The moment that fal'Cie from Pulse - the feared and detested lowerworld - awoke from its slumber, peace on Cocoon came to an end.
Fal'Cie curse humans, turning them into magic-weilding servants.
They become l'Cie - Chosen of the fal'Cie.
Those branded with the mark of a l'Cie carry the burden of either fulfilling their Focus or facing a fate harsher than death itself.
A prayer for redemption. A wish to protect the world. A promise to challenge destiny.
After thirteen days of fates intertwined, the battle begins. -Game Description
The player controls a lead character in an open environment. The other characters in the active party will follow the lead character. As with other Final Fantasy games, Final Fantasy XIII features beautiful FMVs and various cutscenes. This game utilizes the trophy system.
Monsters in Final Fantasy XIII have a variety of forms, due to the influences of the different Crystals and fal'Cie. Monsters on Cocoon generally appear more mechanical and robotic whilst monsters on Pulse are organic and perhaps even more destructive.
 Battle System
Toshiro Tsuchida, the battle director for Final Fantasy X, returns as the battle director for Final Fantasy XIII. This game uses the Active Time Battle, and like in Final Fantasy XII, the battles are in real time.
 Paradigm Shift
Main Article: Paradigm
Paradigm Shift (or Optima Change in Japan) will allow your characters to take various roles in battle. Roles for Paradigm's are: Commando (COM), Ravager (RAV), Medic (MED), Sentinel (SEN), Saboteur (SAB) and Synergist (SYN).
Commandos build chains with enhanced strength. Ravagers charge an enemy's Stagger gauge with concentrated attacks. Medics heal party members HP. They do not attack. Sentinels are tanks that raises the party's defenses. Saboteurs can cast stat decreasing affects on enemies and debuff them. Synergists can buff up the party with positive status affects.
Summons make a return in Final Fantasy XIII under the name Eidolons. Eidolons are summons using a l'Cie's Crystal. Causing it to break will let the Eidolon out into the battle.
 Gestalt Mode
Gestalt Mode is Final Fantasy XIII's equivalent of summons' "overdrive" mode. During this mode, summons literally transform into something that their l'Cie can mount. In battle after summoning your Eidolon, attacks will charge up the Gestalt Gauge under your HP. This reflects the amount of 'Time' you have to control your Eidolon in Gestalt mode. Each command takes up a certain amount of Time, and when you have 00 left, the Eidolon will automatically use their finisher. However, the finisher move can be used at any time by using the bottom Command.
Tetsuya Nomura, the character designer for several of the previous Final Fantasy games, returns for this game.
The main playable cast of Final Fantasy XIII become Pulse l'Cie, whose Focus is to destroy Cocoon.
- Lightning is the lead character whose name is merely pseudonym and not her real name. She is a former soldier that is attempting to save her sister, Serah. Lightning's summon is Odin.
- Snow Villiers is the leader of the resistance group, NORA, and the fiancé of Serah. His summon is Shiva.
- Oerba Dia Vanille is a citizen of Pulse and l'Cie that was awakened prior to the events of the game. Vanille's summon is Hecatoncheir.
- Sazh Katzroy is the father of Dajh, a young boy chosen as a Cocoon l'Cie. Sazh is black, marking the first playable black character since Barret Wallace in Final Fantasy VII. He uses a new summon, Brynhildr.
- Hope Estheim is a Purgee whose mother, Nora, is killed during the battle with PSICOM. Hope blames Snow for his mother's death and often fails to find a way to express his anger. His given summon is Alexander.
- Oerba Yun Fang is a l'Cie working for Sanctum. She is also originally from Pulse and a friend of Vanille's. Fang's given summon is Bahamut.
- Galenth Dysley is the emperor of Cocoon and the main antagonist of the game.
 Additional Information
No information has been submitted to this section of the article. You can help the FFWiki by contributing content to this section.
Snow & Lightning Concept Art
PS3North American Box Art
Xbox 360 North American Box Art